Saturday, February 25, 2012

All That Glitters! DIY Sequin Heels

What could make a pair of basic black slingback peep toe pumps any better?  Um.  Glitter.  That's what.

Over the past few years I've successfully started losing the ole' baby weight.  There is only one downside to all that.  My feet have shrunk and my shoes, my lovely-lovely shoes, do not fit anymore.  The good thing about it is that not only am I losing weight I'm also getting to replace the lovely-lovely shoes with other lovely-lovely shoes!

The one pair I was so sad to see go were these beautiful black slingback peep toe pumps that I could wear with everything.  I searched and searched for a replacement pair with no luck.  Finally one day I found a Nine West pair for $25 at Ross.  The only thing was that they were patent and I'm not a big lover of patent shoes.  As most things go I soon found another pair of black peep toes that were satin.  I snagged those up instantly and was left with the patent ones.  I wasn't really sure what to do with them and so I just hung on to them.


This weekend I thought I'd spruce 'em up a bit and give them a little shine.  Here is the inspiration, the sprucing I did, and how I did it.

The inspiration, Christian Louboutin Lady Glitter Slingback


My creation.  At first I did just the heal.


I loved the heel so much I did the whole heel, and then the front platform.

Supplies:


- Heels that need sprucin'
- Glitter
- Mod Podge
- Sponge or brush
- Tape (painters tape is best)
- Shoe box to catch glitter

Construction:

1.  Wipe down heels and make sure they are clean and dry

2. Tape off parts of shoe that you do not want to glitter


3.  Brush on mod podge on areas you want glittered


4. Sprinkle glitter on mod podge 

 

5. Hang shoes for first coat to dry

6. Let first coat dry for at least an hour. I think I may have even left them for 2 just to be sure

7. To rid of loose glitter take shoes outside and either put them on and gently stomp around a bit or tap shoes on hard ground.  Be careful not to ruin shoes!


8. Apply second coat, repeat process

9. Step back and enjoy your beautiful creation!


Before


After

Now....what to do about the soles of the shoes.  I'm thinking hot pink.

2 comments: