Sunday, January 8, 2012

Who knew a piano could change everything.





  
It all started with my husband's talent. Not only is he an amazing surgeon, a whiz at all things smart, he is also a virtuoso on the piano.  Now, let me start by saying we have lived in our home for going on five years. We have literally done a major project once, if not twice, a year. I'm talking water heaters, hardwood floors, new swimming pool, and on and on. We had reached a point where we were ready for our next "project".  As I've said my husband is a pianist. He had a smaller piano that was in his office (also an addition to the house), but it has always been his dream to have a grand piano. So, it was natural that we were ready to take the next step in our marriage- a baby grand piano.



This lovely, large, behemoth of a sound machine literally took up an entire area of our living room. So much so that we had to move couches and chairs out, and we were left adjusting our sectional so that it was one loooong couch. I think I measured it at 9.3333 feet! To give you an idea of our living room, it is very long but not very wide. Even given the fact that our living room is long, it was not long enough for the baby grand and grand furniture. I felt like I was losing my mind. That was until I discovered Follow Me on Pinterest. Yeah, that little site. You heard of it?

Pinterest changed everything. I knew we needed something new in our home. I knew we needed a little update AND we needed to downsize on the furniture while adding seating. It seemed as though all was lost. Whoever heard of getting more, smaller furniture? Didn't make sense to the hubby either. But, I knew there had to be a way! My sister Val kept telling me about this pinterest site. Finally one day I checked it out. I sat in our bedroom, because I was literally avoiding the living room, and looked at this little site. Um- yeah.

My whole life changed.

Not only were there oodles and oodles of pictures of all sorts (I'm like a 5 year old when it comes to reading. I need pictures), it also had these virtual pinboard thingies that you could "pin" your ideas to! I kept logging off and logging on to see if it was real. A sort of pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming scenario. I was elated.

The pinboard I became most obsessed with was my "French Country Living Room" board. Black and white the theme, neutral furniture, damask the prints, red the accent color. That's all it took and this is what we went from to where we are now. Thank you, Pinterest. You literally saved the baby grand and my sanity. Now, instead of crouching to the other room while the hubby plays piano, in an attempt to get away from the awkward living room, I now curl up on my new, normal sized couch and listen to him play. The music never sounded so sweet.

The behemoth that changed everything.  Thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment